To eat seasonal organic while favoring poorly packaged products, good for the environment and ensuring their origin, can sometimes turn out to be the obstacle course, so how to find your way in all of this ? Zoom on the EU origin and non EU.
What is an organic product ?
An organic product is :
- Less pesticides, fertilizers and no GMOs
- Animals raised without antibiotics and hormones and in less confined spaces
- Ultra-transformed products free from a majority of additives, sweeteners, and artificial aromas
An organic product is not always :
- Healthy/balanced food
- Food totally free from pesticides
- Food whose packaging are not likely to induce contaminations
- Local food
- Food that remunerates at a fair price the producers
- More ecological food
How to know where your products come from ? EU origin and non EU, quésaco ?
The regulation about the obligation to mention the origin integrates also processed products that contain at least 8% of meat or dairy products.
However some take advantage of the vagueness of appellations authorized by law in order to not inform correctly the costumer about the origin of the products.
- Good students will indicate on the packaging the exact country/ies of the origin of the product (for example : origin France).
- The less applied students are satisfied with an EU origin or not EU. In one case they inform us that the raw materials come from countries that belong to the European Union, in the other, they come from countries that do not belong to the European Union (with possibility of mix between raw materials coming from different countries).
- Bad students mislead by indicating EU origin or not EU which means a product that could come from anywhere around the world which ends up indicating nothing at all !!!
Be also careful with brand names where we also distinguish good and less good students
Reflections of France” (Carrefour), “Our region have talent” (Leclerc), ” Flavors of our region” (Lidl) and “flavor route” (Intermarché) make efforts and follow rigorous specifications.
Currently when the origin isn’t explicitly displayed and it is not possible to determine it, it is therefore best to favor products or brands that are transparent on that point. About organic products, it is better to buy them by season and locally.